Sasquatch 2016 Rumors:

Sasquatch! 2016 Lineup:

Florence And The Machine, The Cure, Disclosure, Major Lazer, Alabama Shakes, A$AP Rocky, Sufjan Stevens, M83, Grimes, Chet Faker, Leon Bridges, Jamie xx, Purity Ring, Tycho, Allen Stone, Mac DeMarco, Lord Huron, Kurt Vile, Big Grams, Nathaniel Rateliff And the Night Sweats, Rudimental, Caribou, X Ambassadors, Four Tet, Digable Planets, The Internet, Yo La Tengo, Yeasayer, Andra Day, BØRNS, Oh Wonder, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, M. Ward, Todd Terje, Ty Segall & The Muggers, Savages, Frightened Rabbit, Alina Baraz, Blind Pilot, Wolf Alice, Vince Staples, Marian Hill, Baauer, Saint Motel, Houndmouth, Baroness, Casey Veggies, Vic Mensa, Ibeyi, Matt Corby, Oddisee, Noah Gundersen, Wet, Chelsea Wolfe, Raury, Shamir, Julia Holter, Titus Andronicus, Telekinesis, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Beat Connection, Lany, Protomartyr, The Twilight Sad, Speedy Ortiz, Son Little, Shannon and the Clams, Tamaryn, Soak, La Luz, Kaleo, Kevin Garret, Bully, Autolux, Tacocat, Deep Sea Diver, Joseph, Hop Along, Baio, Marcus Marr, Hibou, Brothers From Another, John Mark Nelson, Briana Marela, Summer Cannibals, Bayonne, Isha Dhaaf, Sir the Baptist, Conner Youngblood, Oscar, Grace Love and the True Loves, Thunderpussy, Wimps, Mindie Lind, The Dip, Tangerine, Fauna Shade, Ruler, Dave B, Natasha Leggero, The Lucas Bros, Todd Barry, Moshe Kasher, Scharpling & Wurster, Lauren Lapkus, Dave Hill, Mark Normand

Thursday, February 10, 2011

How About That Lineup, Eh?

We have plenty of time to digest the lineup over the next couple months, so I'll start by giving my opinion on the top tier, and discuss another couple highlights. Feel free to give your opinion on the lineup (or your opinion on my opinion) in the comments section.

Top Tier: At first glance, this is the only disappointment of the lineup. 2010 was too good to be true, and the headliners (Massive Attack, Ween, My Morning Jacket) were three of the best shows I saw all year. Those headliners, along with Pavement and a stacked undercard, is why so many people living outside of the Pacific NW chose to make Sasquatch 2010 their first. It's also why the festival sold out in record time. That was last year though, so comparing this year's lineup isn't exactly fair. If we must compare the two, this year we get a fourth day to hang out with our friends at one of the biggest/friendliest parties on the planet, discussion over.

It's a bit of a shame Arcade Fire isn't on the lineup. Word is they were in discussions, but something happened at the last minute. Whatever happened occurred within the last two weeks, so the lineup probably looks much different than expected. Does that mean we can expect a giant addition, not really, especially since the festival might be sold out by the time you read this. It would suggest there is some extra money laying around. Death From Above 1979 might have gathered that extra cash, since a month ago, no one knew they were getting back together, and they are a HUGE addition (they weren't on the original poster).

I'm completely down with Wilco, they are a huge draw in the NW, and the Flaming Lips playing the Soft Bulletin is gigantic. I follow the music scene pretty close, and I don't recall the last time they did this album live. It is one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm one of those people who have seen the Lips enough times to think, "maybe I don't need to see them again." I've seen them indoors and outdoors, during daylight and while dark, with the UFO and without, with the hamster ball and without, with naked women on stage and without, but I never thought I'd have a chance to see the Soft Bulletin live. That is THE highlight.

Death Cab For Cutie isn't really my bag, but they also have a huge following in the NW, and the dance tent lineup this year is stacked. Relatively smaller headliners isn't that big of a deal when you have other grand alternatives. I'm somewhat disappointed I've missed so many EDM acts the past two years, because I've spent so much time on the main stage. I've seen some below average Modest Mouse shows (the band I've seen live the most), but the last time I caught them 18 months ago, it was pretty great. And the Foo Fighters might be the second most entertaining main stage act of the weekend (behind the Flaming Lips). I've written much about the Foos on this blog already.

Other highlights include Wolf Parade's first ever last show ever, Rodrigo Y Gabriella (I'm not sure why more people aren't talking about this), Bassnectar, Guided By Voices, Archers of Loaf, and an undercard stacked as usual. Speaking of Guided By Voices, they have not played too many shows since their recent reunion, but I was lucky enough to catch one of them last fall, and wrote a review. It's a fair assessment of what you might expect. I should warn you, I'm very PG-13 on this blog, but I can get a bit adult oriented on the Cog. You'll see what I mean reading the intro of this review. Read it here.

Much more to come over the next couple weeks. I've seen many of the bands on the lineup live, or listened to them extensively, so I have a lot of opinions. In time, I'll see if I can get a mini review of every act on the lineup. However, sometimes it's just really tough to say anything good about certain acts.

What do you think about the lineup?

.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the source for the Arcade Fire negotiations info? Not that I doubt it...I'm just generally interested.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vankonia said...

The lineup is great, except one little bit. Death Cab is NOT headline status, the fact that the mainstage will close with the OC's fav band is kind of rediculous. Otherwise awesome, Lips! modest mouse! yeasayer!

Anonymous said...

Admittedly, I'm a bit underwhelmed, perhaps because I had such high expectations as this is Sasquatch's 10th year.
The bulk of the 'headliners' played Sasquatch in 2005 and 2006, and I don't really feel like they have done enough in the past five years to earn proper headliner status.
None of the top dozen have released a game-changing or ground-breaking album in several years, and I'm surprised that there aren't any hip-hop or throwback acts (okay, we get GBV). I can't even imagine really dancing to any of the top dozen...where are the 'fun' bands, that unite everyone? The Flaming Lips are the only example I can find.
I wanna see something other than the Sasquatch perennials...maybe even a Postal Service reunion. Something special, and out of the ordinary.

Anonymous said...

This lineup blows. I was expecting a lot better. If this concert was between 2003 and 2005... I might have attended... but I was still in secondary school.

All of the new bands, or ones that have not graced sasquatch with their massive presence, are incredibly niche.

One legit headline would be nice. The Black Keys maybe...

I would never spend hundreds of dollars to see these washed up bands play in their twilight years.

I mean... Pink Martini made a flippin christmas album... why were they even invited??

Anonymous said...

Is this it? i thought way more bands would go. this line up can't be complete. 2010s line up was awesome!

know ID yuh said...

@ 1st post anon, you don't ask a chef for their recipe.

Anonymous said...

The lineup for Saturday-Monday looks great at first glance and I disagree with those that say that Death Cab is not a headliner, obviously not paying attention as to how popular they have become over the years here in the NW. However, the situation on Friday is not what anyone expected. I am hopeful that there will be another 12 or so bands added. Even with a 400 start time still time for 6 at Mainstage and 5 at bigfoot (6 if a late night set follows Foo Fighters) plus a additional acts at Yeti stage...I am hopeful that in a couple of days I will see bands added and then it will be easier to make comments on the festival as a whole. I do agree with those that think last years lineup is better but I am sure this year will be fine once everyone listens to the bands that will be there.

Anonymous said...

^ Yea friday is looking hella weak right now so im hoping they can throw down some surprises and make it a full day... I mean I paid for a full day didn't it?

Anonymous said...

They need to get a headliner stat! It doesn't even have to be a huge headliner like the foo fighters, but last time Death Cab played sasquatch it was still light out and they haven't released anything that would merit top billing this year. The friday "lineup", or lack thereof, is also quite frustrating. Next year I won't make the mistake of purchasing my pass before the lineup announcement like I did this year.

Anonymous said...

Death Cab has a new album I think it is dropping before Sasquatch and in 2008 Death Cab cam out just before the Cure( See billing for 2008 they were listed on the top 10 of poster). Friday must change they need a big act to close down the Bigfoot stage before Foo fighters come on an a couple good sized acts on the main stage as well...
I also agree with paying the same and we ALL thought the reason that this year was special is that we would get a full 4 day festival. Otherwise they could just push the 5 acts from Friday on the other 3 Days....

Anonymous said...

I also have some regret after buying my 4 day passes, pre lineup. Last year was my first Sasquatch, and that line up was insane! I flew in from the Midwest and had a blast. I was really hoping for Arcade Fire, or the black keys, or crystal castles, and got none. I'm still super excited about flying out to the beautiful pacific northwest, but maybe next year ill wait until the lineup is revealed.

Anonymous said...

^ I wanted all 3 and was certain arcade fire would be there but we got nill. Don't get me wrong I'm still really happy with this but its mostly friday thats bumming me out, Im hoping that they'll be like "oh hey kids, SUPRISE heres X bands for friday, lets party"

maxbc said...

Frankly, I think the lineup is really weak as well. This is coming from someone that loves Sasquatch! For 7 years, it's been the best thing I do. I think this lineup is making it painfully obvious that 4 days is unnecessary.

In a way, I wish tickets would sell poorly, encouraging festival organizers to realize we want and deserve more. I also know this won't happen and it disappoints me that the organizers probably know they can get away with giving us a mediocre lineup. They already feed us the shittiest food anywhere.

All that negativity set aside, I will go 3 or 4 days because Sasquatch! is always a blast. How great and how popular it is might ironically hurt our chances for drawing healthier lineups.

davers said...

I gotta say I dont get the dissapointment. Last year I saw the lineup and was in the meh catagory but then the more I looked at it and the schedule I realized there was a band that I wanted to see almost every hour of every day.

Sure, the headliners could be better, and I'm bummed about the lack of arcade fire (though I did just see them 6 months ago). But man, look at the rest of the lineup!

Bassnectar, Wolf Parade, Local Natives, Washed out, flogging molly, cold war kids, ratatat, yeasayer, major lazer, rodrigo y gabriella, MSTRKRFT, Black mountain....

It just goes on and on. Anyone not excited for this lineup needs to dig a little deeper and check out some of the lesser know guys.

Also, I totally agree with the original post, the Flaming Lips will be THE show to see.

It would be nice to see some more bands added for friday, and I think it might happen.

And hey... Radiohead is releasing a new album in a few days... anyone smell a late add? (If only..)

Anonymous said...

annnd boom goes the dynamite, if radiohead goes people will sell coachella tickets to get here, but if that happens we might as well expect jesus performing in the dance tent.
I do agree with the last post that says that we've got a trove of good acts, i think im just concerned with friday being 6 acts, if that changes that is set to be better than last yea and i was digging last year old school.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy with the lineup, a lot of bands i've seen a lot, some I missed over the years, and some new comers that i'm sure are just gonna get bigger and you'll be there at the beginning. They sold out the first three days pretty quick so I think the people have spoken. Also, sasquatch always has its ways of suprising you with its lineup additions, the gorge is an amazing venue.

Unknown said...

the line-up is alright, i've been going since '08 and to be honest i expected much more this year considering A) its the frickin 10th anniversary and B) the lineup last year was AMAZING, guess they couldn't top it. I was seriously hoping The BLack Keys, with all their hype and the success of their recent album, would be there. They're playing at all the other festivals except Sasquatch!, Hangout,Bonnaroo and Coachella have all booked them. Yes I'm excited to see most of the lineup but where are all the fun dance party like bands that usually play on the main stage?? I'm hoping for a suprise show or two!

Anonymous said...

I know a secret...

Anonymous said...

^ ...any little birdy hints, Mr or Ms secret-bearer?

Anonymous said...

He doesn't actually know a secret, hes fooling.

Anonymous said...

I was just checking Ticketmaster and all tickets are sold out.

Anonymous said...

Excited for Death Cab and Jenny & Johnny on Saturday.
DNTEL would be a great add...

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Friday line up, and I doubt they will release any huge shocker headline bands too (bummer). hopefully some smaller acts that are hitting up the festival circuit like, Wavves, Cage the Elephant, Ariel Pink Graffiti, or Deer Tick play that day. but if you look on the bright side, single day passes were 80 bucks and that is how much a Foo concert would be anyways.

Looking at the line-up as a whole, again, I agree with everyone on this blog. It does lack star-power and oomph, although; I am so excited about it! Death From Above Foo Fighters, Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips, Skrillex, Chromeo, etc. etc. That is so legit!! and there are many extremely talented bands performing, and regardless of their position in the hierarchy of the music festivals, they will still be a blast like, Local Natives (their performance was epic in 2010) Black Mountain, Sam Roberts, Jenny & Johnny, GIVERS, K-os, Sleigh Bells, and so many more.

This will be my third Sasquatch and I think this years line up is AWESOME, and in my opinion matched with 2010, Its extremely diverse and unique from all the other festivals so far this year, and It provides a chance to see many bands I normally wouldn't go see, and I love being presently surprised by some random side act who I've have never heard before. This year definitely lives up to Sasquatch's standards.. besides its the Gorge! once I'm drunk, stoned, and sitting on the hill, I'll be having a great time even if Its a guitar tech tuning a guitar for 3 hours.

Anonymous said...

^
lets hang out, he knows whats up.

Anonymous said...

... I've read every comment, and no one has mention Bright Eyes yet. Conor Oberst is the only reason my buddy agreed to drive down (fourteen hours) with me. not to negate the rest of great acts playing. I'm stoked for the whole shebang.

Anonymous said...

villagers!yay!